View Single Post
Old 16-06-04, 01:46
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: AWD 'Kangaroo'

Hanno/Geoff;

This is what I've found:

AWD "Kangaroo" - Location:

After reading your quote from 'The Canadian Priest Kangaroo': "An AWD (Army Workshops Detachment), code named 'Kangaroo', was set up in two fields near Bayeux with the camp sited in the protection of a neighbouring orchard, about twenty miles from the start line", it got me thinking and I went back and re-read anything and everything I've ever seen written on the Priest Kangaroo. Anyways, to make a long story short, after information from the following sources: Canada's Craftsmen, The Story of the Corps of Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers and of the Land Ordnance Engineering Branch; To The Thunderer His Arms, The Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps; Volume III, of the Official History of The Canadian Army in the Second World War, The Victory Campaign; 1944, The Canadians in Normandy; and after consulting various maps and measuring distances and direction, I've come to the conclusion that the AWD (Advanced Workshop Detachment) 'Kangaroo', was established beside No. 14 Advanced Ordnance Depot, which was located just southeast of Bayeux, about 2 km south of the Bayeux-Caen road, outside of Audrieu (Audrieux), which is roughly 20 miles from the start line for Operation TOTALIZE and Louvigny, where the 36x Priest Kangaroos that were allotted to the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division were harboured after conversion, prior to the launch of TOTALIZE. The reason why I say it was outside of Audrieu (Audrieux), along side No. 14 AOD, is that, in one account, it mentions that AWD 'Kangaroo' was established beside an Ordnance Depot, and No. 14 AOD is the only one that was established in the right place and in the right direction, to have been the Ordnance Depot that was referred to. I've attached a map of the location of Audrieu (Audrieux)(sorry, I don't have a bigger or better map), and also another photo I found of troops of the 4th Cdn Inf Bde mounted on Kangaroos prior to the start of Operation TOTALIZE, the reference for which is: NAC PA 129173. If need be, I can fill in the details regarding the location of AWD 'Kangaroo'.

Cheers

Last edited by Mark W. Tonner; 16-06-04 at 02:26.