View Single Post
Old 20-02-14, 08:05

This has been a most interesting and educational thread in regards to Aust vs Kiwi carriers and their identifying characteristics.

I am still none the wiser ref this BGC and if it is Aust or NZ, but have the following to add:

Early Aust BGC had a rectangular ID plate located on the RHF guard, this was later moved to the top of the triangular steel panel above the dash, and welded in place. Not sure what hull number or date this occurred but would have varied between manufacturers.

Some early Aust BGC had circular mounting blocks welded to the hull (my Vic Rail 731 does), but most had the common square mounting blocks welded to the hull.

It was a field mod to cut the centre front tow eye off, this was to reduce the incident of crews banging their hands on it when utilising the crank handle. This was later overcome by the centre tow eye not being installed in late production BGC; and a slightly longer crank handle extension rod procured. This mod is not documented in the DME book.

I have found several BGC that have a number stamped on the centre tow eye, it is not a hull number but a work order number or similar. For example, a BGC that has stamped '106' on the eye, it is a Aust LP2- very early due to the flare box mounting being by the gunners Left knee. 106 would make it a LP1.

The front hull gun mount has several holes in it, this feature is also on many Aust BGC, 2 of the 3 BGC that I have, have these holes in the same position. Not sure what they are for, but Rob may have a likely suggestion.
There was also a mod conducted in this area, but I will leave it for a new thread.

Not sure if I have assisted any. This hull does have square mounting blocks, flare box located left of the gun position. Not much else stands out.

Regards
1943 Chev C60L Army Cargo Truck
1941 LP2 VR 731 Bren Gun Carrier 3" Mortar Carrying

Under restoration:
1940 LP1 Bren Gun Carrier
194? 1 Ton Trl Ben Hur
1942 C15A with sunshine cabin

MVPA 31338