Thread: Sold: '42/43 Ford F15A
View Single Post
Old 03-08-12, 18:17
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris vickery View Post
Seriously guys. I am sure that a rebuild of a flathead motor is in the $3K area now just on its own. Try to fully resto anything for Mike's asking price and see how you fair.
BTW, not affiliated with the seller in any way, just a little support for another mv guy!

Chris, you touch on a very good point. I've priced out what a CMP restoration costs, using a relatively clean, complete starting point. Not counting your own labour, given that you start with lots of NOS parts and don't have to get them one at a time at E-Bay prices, and assuming you've already got $30,000 in specialized tools, compressor, torches, etc. and space in the garage your wife would like to use for her car...it's still over $15,000 for things you need to buy or have someone else to do like sandblasting, machining or building the engine, tires, tubes, brake turning, shoes and lines, glass, paint and primer, wiring, gas tanks, rebuilding starters, generators, carburetors, nuts, bolts, taps, grinding wheels....

I love doing it, and the money spent over 3-4-5- years it is justifiable (-ish), but these things aren't cheap to do and, I'd suggest, for anyone who baulks at paying for a restored one, the alternative is paying more, taking years and, sadly, often running out of time and money before it's ever completed.