Thread: How To: Ford CMP "Blitz" miscellany
View Single Post
Old 09-12-16, 04:52
VMVC

Default Tidying up loose ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Reed View Post
I decided they were either 17mm or 15mm press studs and ordered a couple of each on Ebay for the princely sum of $4. Should be here soon from Hong Kong. Sad I can't give the locals the business but I tried

Well another loose end has been tied up. I received the press studs from Hong Kong two weeks ago and my gamble paid off. They turned out to be 17mm diameter to fit the existing studs. Local shoe repairer fitted them to a piece of leather for me and I just picked it up.

Please allow me a slight diversion but I noted with sadness the 75th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor yesterday. I was a bit dismayed by the lack of coverage of the commemoration in the Australian media. It seemed to be relegated to a 20 second bite late into the news programs. I wound up watching the service streamed on my computer instead. Was moved to see three living survivors there of the five still left from the sinking of the USS Arizona. Having visited the Arizona twice, in the 70's and again in the 90's I never failed to get a bit choked up at the experience.

As a baby boomer whose father served in the US Army Signal Corps for all of WW2 in New Guinea and Australia, Dec 7th has always held a special place in my Dad's life and even in my upbringing. I guess to the young movers and shakers who now control the media it is ancient history but for some of us it is still as significant and relevant as the 4th of July.

When Japan woke the sleeping giant on the 7th Dec 1941 the world changed forever. The day deserves to be more than just a footnote in a news broadcast.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0161.JPG  

Jacques Reed