View Single Post
Old 28-01-21, 15:58

Default I've Seen Them In Pet!

Hi Robin, I was in 1 Svc Bn from 86-92 then 2 Svc Bn from 92-97 and do vaguely recall seeing a few bikes neglected and sitting in various compounds in Calgary and Petawawa. If anyone asked about them the story goes that they were for DR's (Signals Dispatch Riders) to use to convey messages in the field from the Battalion CP to the Brigade CP. But I was also informed that no one used them because a) they broke down a lot, and b) no one was qualified to ride them, and c) the Iltis had a heater and overhead protection. Don't forget the Iltis was the new toy back then so they got used a lot. And as I think about it, 90% of exercises were held in the Fall, Winter and Spring which made the bike even less desirable to use. In all the exercises I was involved in from BC to NB over 11 years in support of every unit in the Brigade, I can truly say I never seen one working in person. That's not to say they weren't a good machine in the right hands.

On a lighter note working for various units (1 Fld Amb to be exact), anyone ever load up a 6 x 6 5-ton with feminine hygiene products wearing webbing and a rifle with cam paint on Good times!
1951 PE-95K Gen Set
MVPA
Cdn Forces 1986-2006