View Single Post
Old 18-01-21, 03:01

Default Armstrong MT500 CFR 86-78530

Well, where to start?

I have had a quiet year in 2020 on the MV front busying myself with building our garage and it has paid off. I have an enclosed structure with doors.

Anyway I digress.

Last week i was sent a link by a good friend Jason Ginn and I was alerted to what appeared to be an ex CF Armstrong on Facebook. It was less than twenty kilometers from where I live.

Considering these were disposed of long ago, specifically April 1996 for this one, it is hard to find them these days, especially when you consider there were only 86 of them.

That day I was in communication with the seller and was at his place that evening.

The tale, as told, was that it was bought from Barry Brown in the Westport area and ridden enthusiastically until other distractions took over. The bike then sat and seized and then was torn apart for repair. It was spread over 12 feet in a shed on shelves and against a wall where I saw it. Neglected and so unloved.

That evening I put a deposit down and took the front wheel on the forks with the handlebars and VIN tag as my part so far. Denying him from selling it out from under me to someone else, hopefully.

On Friday I went armed with milk crates and totes I went back to collect the rest.

Mostly it is there. There is a lot of detailed work to do and a lot of parts to buy and maybe even make. A bike is more than I feel comfortable building and I have made arrangements to have it done by a friend, he has the time and skill and he has owned one before and knows them.

It will be transported at some time in the future. Meanwhile it sits safe and dry under lock and key.

I am thankful to Ed Storey for already providing historical information. Confirming the CFR to VIN relationship and that it served with 2 Svc Bn in Petawawa and the disposal date.

Brain Asbury has already supplied some front fork bellows.

Rob Love has assisted with the offer of some paperwork to support the bike.

I am in a fortunate position that, unlike most during Covid, I have been working two jobs and have a small reserve which is being used for this project.

I can not thank all those involved enough for their contribution so far.

I hope for a running rideable bike by late June, possibly.

If anyone has parts for these bikes I am all ears and have coin ready. The tubular panniers are high on the list as are the fabric bags that go inside. I am going to search high and low for as much as I can but I am prepared to have items made if I have to.

I am thrilled to add this vehicle to the ranks.

My partner has given it a name already. When shown it all on a pallet and in boxes she said "Jack" was appropriate. It is sticking so far.

Things can only get better if a Can Am pops up........

Pictures for you to enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
MT500 001.jpg   MT500 002.jpeg   MT500 003.jpeg   MT500 004.jpeg  

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62