View Single Post
Old 13-06-23, 04:59
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Springs

Long term saga with the front springs .

My jeep came with the 1950s Aust. post-war made springs.

I later on found a couple of WW2 era front springs , in very bad shape.

Purchased 2 new front springs from a vendor here.

Ok the story:

Repro front springs look very little like the WW2 era springs: leaves are thicker, no bevel on the edge of the leaves, the clips look all wrong, the centre bolt is a joke , how people can sell junk like this !

Pulled apart the WW2 era springs. Hmmm some deep pitting is evident , sagging too and one main leaf end is bent badly. Wear is evident where the leaf ends move and dig into the next leaf.

So I made up a spring pack using the new repro main and 2nd leaves and the rest are the old original WW2 leaves . I had to re-arch the old leaves in my pipe bender. Had to bevel the edges of the repro main and 2nd leaves .

Now make new Willys style spring clips..... the originals are .110" gauge . All I can find here is 3mm flat bar, but it is the correct width .
Lots of filing cutting . Had to make a die to press the dot into the clips and heat up up the metal cherry red .

Very hard to get a tight radius on the 3mm bar ,so my old trick, you cut half way through and bend, then weld and file the radius ...do this 24 times for 2 springs

Also had to machine up new centre bolts , out of good steel, not the plastic stuff the repro bolts are made from. The bolt head needs to be a good fit in the spring saddle .... which is usually worn to a oval shape.

Been working on these springs for over 2 years ..... not finished yet.

I have become rather fed up with the poorly made and expensive repro parts ..I now make my own parts when it is feasible to do so.
Attached Thumbnails
spr4.jpg  
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 13-06-23 at 10:26.