View Single Post
Old 19-05-21, 03:42
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default more

Hi Lynn

The original design is flawed. With the original setup in good condition , the bolts will rotate after a very short period of use. The rotating happens because the bolt splines damage/enlarge the reamed holes , this hole damage begins the process of the elongation of the holes, and it becomes worse as time goes on. A much better method of preventing the bolt from turning is what the Dodge WC vehicles have, that is, a protruding flat section on the outside face of the hanger, the protruding face locks one of the bolt head hex faces in place.

As for floating bushes, the problem with that is, if there is any amount of wear in the bushes or bolts , a yawing or sideways movement of the whole front axle will occur. The yawing action will actually add to the elongation of the holes in the spring hangers. At the other end of the springs, the threaded U shaped shackles don't have enough rigidity to hold the axles in the correct aligned position , those shackles have some wobble , even when new. I am not a automotive engineer , these are my theories .. my theories might be wrong but on the practical side of things, I've seen more than one WW2 Jeep chassis in otherwise excellent condition, with badly elongated spring hanger holes
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad