View Single Post
Old 14-05-21, 16:08
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliphastings View Post
Hi Mike K,

Just curious how do you go about broaching the interference fit neck of the pivot bolts.

I have a good grasp of the more basic machining but broaching in such an inaccessable spot must be very tricky ?

Cheers

Phill
Hi Phil

The short splined section of the bolt that is located right up against the bolt head . I believe they designed the bolt like that in order to prevent the bolt from turning in the chassis hanger, in others words, to lock the bolt in place . The splines bite into the chassis hanger hole as you tighten up the nut and draw the head up against the hanger.

I don't like the method myself, it is actually a bit of a bodge . Problem is: The splines really make a mess of the reamed hole. If you have to remove the bolt a few times , the hole ends up being torn and messed up. The hangers are only made from 1/4" plate which is a design flaw.

Not easy to replicate that splined section in a hobby workshop, you could knurl the area which will create a raised pattern. I am not off roading this jeep , it will be OK to leave the bolt head as a plain finish.

If I did buy new bolts from RFJP, I would have machined off the splines before fitting his pivot bolts.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 14-05-21 at 17:34.