View Single Post
Old 11-10-20, 22:29

Default G749 the quiet hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Phillips View Post
Here are some ads I unearthed as I start my cleanup around here (again).
I remember when Levy's had these new trucks but they were out of my price range in those days. There were lots of low miler units available cheap around. In spite of being specifically designed for military use and being far ahead of their time with auto transmissions- they just never got any respect. They were underpowered and needed regular maintainance to keep on the road. But I liked em, and still have one to get running one of these days!..BP

Attachment 114714 Attachment 114715 Attachment 114716
Thanks so much for taking the time to post the pictures. It's the first 'documentation' I've seen that states "these trucks were stored on blocks".

We know the stories about 16 target cities in Canada having support areas nearby where we kept rescue vehicles in the event of a nuclear strike. Across Canada, stories are told of the fleets of deuces lined up that no one could touch, except for maintenance. The G749 appears to have done her job to the satisfaction of most, then quietly took retirement.

The after service life of the G749 will never be completely known. With stories of radiated trucks being buried in cement after cleaning up our nuclear problems to Dewline loaded barges being pulled onto the dock at Hay River with modified M135's, her accomplishments will remain, unknown by most.

I drove my first M135 in the 80's. The company I worked for mounted a 1200 gallon hydroseeder to the back of an M135 and I managed not to flip it over or break it for years. It was 8000 lbs of hydro-seeder with 12,000 lbs of water, seed, mulch, fertilizer and sometimes tacifier, ...... on the back of a deuce. I was just a youngin' trying to make a buck so never questioned the boss about weight. The truck drove heavy but always got me home.

Many of the G749 adventures are nearly 50 years old now. It's time to remind Canada about them! From Chalk River to Operation Morninglight, the deuce earned her recognition!
Attached Images

Last edited by Dave D.; 11-10-20 at 22:44.