Thread: Heads Up: CMPs for sale in Italy
View Single Post
Old 20-12-09, 17:19
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Fiats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Churcher View Post
I don't mean to hijack Hanno's thread but I must tell you about the Fiat Punto I rented in Italy for my son's wedding. It had so little power that I had to go into these switchback turns at almost full power. The little beast went around the corners okay but if you lost any speed you couldn't get to the next turn without shifting into low and crawling. We had to make the trip every day and my son in law who wisely rented a Mercedes van had to wait for me all the time. He had a full load with 6 people and I just couldn't keep up with only Janet and I. I don't think much of Fiats.
Barry
Barry..
When I was young and foolish..at least more foolish than I am now..I was stationed in Sardinia in '69-'70..
From that journey I brought back many memories..a girl friend that was to become my wife the following year..who came equipped,among other things ,with a brand new Fiat Spider 850 Convertible..
When she bought it in Calgiari,Sardinia the sales man was so please with himself that when he turned over the keys to the car he proudly announced that they even put a liter of gas in it for her..A LITER...!!
A whole liter of gas cost around $2.00 back in '70 if I can remember correctly..
I found the original receipt a few years ago and the car,she bought it through the military Can-ex was $1500.00 US..
A new Mercedes 200 series D was around $3500 US and a new Honda 750 motorcycle was around $950..
A 40 of Smirnoff vodka was $1.80 US..a Texas Micky(133 ounces) of Canadian Club ,complete with pump was $10.35 US..likewise a T.Mickey of Ron Bacardi rum..
The best German white wine... $0.74 a crock..
Used to buy it by the case..
Heineken.. 100 lira( .16 US) a can..right out of the old Iron Doctor(Beer machine)..
But The Fiat came home with me..along with the missus..and a bad case of the shakes which I finally beat around 25 years ago..
I'll save the Fiat stories til we meet again..

Have a great Christmas and I hope to see you and Lobster Breath at Gracies in the new year.
Have a great Christmas..
Alex