Thread: WW 2 Bridging?
View Single Post
Old 30-12-06, 19:51
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Bailey Bridges

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Gotta love 'em somehow. There's a 1944-dated Class 70 bridge up north of Matachewan... have to find the pics I took. There's also a Class 5 (hint for those of you who've known me longer than when Christ was a Corporal) bridge NE of Toronto, put up by 2 Field E after Hurricane Hazel in '53... a thing of beauty (the bridge, not the hurricane (unless it was a Mark II with a 3-bladed prop... oh, never mind)). I'll try to dig up pics of that as well. Any time I head that way with my kids (they're closing on 27 and 25), they shriek. "DAD!!!! WE KNOW ALL ABOUT THAT GODDAM BAILEY BRIDGE!!!! NOW GET BACK IN THE DAMN CAR AND STOP BLOCKING TRAFFIC!"

No educating the young these days, I tell you.
An entrepreneur by the name of Paul Weber somehow worked a deal with the city of Toronto to buy a Bailey Bridge which crossed Lakeshore Blvd at the CNE grounds.

He had it transported to a location on Hwy 11 around Orillia way and had it erected over the highway.

Since his business was on the east side of the road (thereby capturing northbound traffic), the bridge then also captured southbound traffic.

His business success was/is phenomenal.

It's Weber's...a mandatory stop for cottagers and tourists and fairly famous in its own right.

I wonder how many of the hundreds of thousands of diners there realize the background to the Bailey Bridge which looms over them as they munch down?