View Single Post
Old 24-01-22, 19:35

Default SUPPLY UNITS, Vibratory, No. 52 ZA/CAN 4354

A startling -47 degrees Wind Chill here this morning. It wasn’t just a couple of Sun Dogs surrounding the Sun today, it was a whole freaking wolf pack! A good morning to stay in and think, however.

There are a few things with the Supply Unit of this 52-Set that need to be looked at and fixed. The big one, eventually will be the removal of the front panel so it can be repaired, repainted and a new set of water slide transfer decals applied. This latter task will be huge, taking a while and requiring we get a new computer and the necessary software to do the job easily and well, as far as making the decals is concerned. So that huge task has to wait a bit yet.

My thought process is to first check the two Rotary Transformers to see if they are still working correctly. Having had a look at one set of end bearings on each of these items now I am comfortable the bearings are in good shape and will be OK for the duration of running time they will go through to get reliable output readings from them. This exercise will provide very useful information, both now and down the road when they are removed from the Supply Unit for repacking the bearings.

The second thing that came to mind was the hardware issue that is causing the Vibratory Supply Case to bind when being inserted or removed. This hardware is located on the left front corner of the AF Choke (L28A) in the MG1A Secondary Circuit where it is serving as the Smoothing Filter.

In the attached photo, you can see this Choke directly under the Blower Motor. The left side of the choke passed roughly half way between the right end on the Blower Motor capacitor and its cotton lacing and the errant hardware set is sitting pretty much under the front rim of the metal grommet on top of the Blower Motor where its two leads exit.

On the bright side, there is only one lead that needs to be unsoldered leading to the blower assembly. The rest is just hardware: four hex nuts to release the COVERS, Metal, from the front panel and then three large screw to release the Blower assembly, which should then just swing out the right side of the Supply Unit chassis. That should expose the AF Choke hardware that needs fixing and also allow me to clean the Blower Motor and more importantly its fan, which is filthy. And with that all done, I can reinstall the blower for the time being and more importantly, I can reinstall the restored Vibratory Supply assembly and keep it out of harms way.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 Supply Unit 47.JPG