View Single Post
Old 18-06-20, 22:12

I spent the morning today disassembling the rightmost Flick Drive assembly…to a point. A pause was then required for some serious reflection.

The two Flick Indicator Flags at the top of each Flick Drive Assembly need to be repainted. The easiest way to do that would be in removing them from the Drives. The problem, when I got to that point, is the two screws securing the Indicator Flags and their host of assorted springs are impossible to get at with even the smallest screwdriver, without removing the components immediately above them. Something I am just not prepared to do.

The leftmost Flick Drive has little directly above it, but what is there cannot be removed. Mainly the lower Cowl Fastener Receptacle assembly that is welded to the chassis.

After studying the problem for a while, I decided it would be possible to carefully cover over the entire front chassis of the Sender, leaving just the six Flick Indicator Flags exposed. In that condition, they can all be stripped of the existing damaged paint and completely repainted. So a huge amount of additional physical disassembly work can be avoided at the expense of slightly more prep work for the actual painting. I got away lucky with that one.

The other noticeable thing coming out of the Flick Drive pieces today was how different the metal pieces look when clean, compared to the corresponding parts in a 19-Set. They are not the usual dull grey Cadmium Plating one is accustomed to, but a rather shiny finish. Clearly different plating has been used (if one was used) and this may be a reflection of CMC’s decision to use a higher grade of steel in these Flick Drive parts compared to what had been used in the 19-Set items.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 Sender 50.JPG