View Single Post
Old 22-11-03, 14:23
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets_Dottir
You folks in here have no idea how great its been for me (altho perhaps not for some of you with me in here)to find the MLU (other than the tons of help I got from all of you, especially Mark ---his whole family are all my fans!!!!!!) WELL ... whats been even better it that I've been LMAO since I joined...and its so good to laugh again! Thanks to one and all! Some people just have NO idea of the good they do.
Carman
I'm glad to see you back on line on the MLU Forum..
I believe it has always been part of the MLU mandate to help each other and if my off beat,wierd sense of humour makes you laugh and picks you up then I have helped you out in some small way.
Now having said that I believe that "Jeff the Ref" will let us know in no uncertain terms if we step over the mandated lines of the forum which is his perogrative and duty to maintain stability and positive flow in this Forum...
On November 20 1963,40 years ago yesterday,I joined the R.C.A.F and served with many of our WW2 Heros...I can tell you that it was a real treat to hear their stories in the mess on Friday nights...Stories they would never relate even to their families but after some good beer and companion ship would finally be persuaded to tell their experiences ..
I remember two Flight Sergeants in Penhold Alberta back in '70..
Both signed up together...Both ended up in Bomber command..
Both in the same squadron...Different crews..
One watched his buddy parachute out of his burning Lancaster over Germany..
The next mission he ended up in the same boat..bailing out of his burning Lancaster..
They ended up in the same prison from '44 to the end of the war...They were still serviving and serving together in '70...
When these guys went on parade,their gongs(Medals) would blind you..
THen I had a Corporal that worked for me that was an air craft carpenter on the Mosquito Bombers in Mont Jolie Quebec..
And another Corporal that was in the Hitler Youth...in the final days of '45...survived the Russian onslaught in Berlin...survived the allied P.O.W camps on the Danish coast.(He was 14-15 years old).Immigrated to Canada in '54 and joined the Canadian Army....He retired in '71..
(All these guys were as humble and unassuming and having been to the "Other side" very gratefull to live in Canada)
You being a Vets Daughter and I being a Vets son have a duty to uphold the heritage and perserve history in any small way we can..
MLU Forum gives us a vehicle to achieve this end..
Glad you are back on line..