View Single Post
Old 01-01-14, 12:16

Marc,

The trailers were made in Ottawa, for the entire production run, as far as I know.

In those days I lived not too far from DEW and seemed to accidentally be past there on a regular basis.

I did at the time take a lot of 35mm colour slides along with my then best mate (now deceased) Andy Graham. The pair of us were shutterbugs with long lenses taking pictures of many things all the time.

The LSVWs themselves came into Ottawa on flat cars as chassis cabs directly from Kelowna and were started and driven over to the DEW shops to get the refurbished SEV bodies put on them, but thats another story.

Anyhow, back to the trailers, there was some horrible fight between DEW and the Crown over the corrosion protection and the seam sealing as the sealer fell out after painting. Someone got screwed somewhere im thinking.

The trailers will suffer the same problems of lamination based corrosion over time.

If the Crown spent a bit of money just building car port style covered parking for their MV fleets and got them just under cover they would have such a better return on their investment. I know our farm machinery fairs so much better just under a roof with no sides.

My lady, new to the MV scene, has only just started to appreciate how many days of a year the average MV sits vs being used after we pass through a local base and see the same vehicles in the same place month after month.

If only common sense ruled the world.

Off to plow snow, again.

R