View Single Post
Old 05-12-03, 16:33
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Re-enactors at MV events

Well here goes ,

What do the forum readers think of the re-enactor thing at MV events ? It seems to me , it started off as a innocent add on to the military theme of our restored vehicles . But , it has unfortunately grown to a point where it has its own following , separate to the MV restorer clan .

Here in OZ , it hasn't really taken off until recently . But I have noticed the re-enactors are present at more and more MV events

We had a group of German SS re-enactors at one well attended national MV rally here a few years ago , they did raise a few eyebrows and they have not returned to this annual event as far as I know . The re-enactor fraternity claim they are portraying history and this is fine and dandy , but why oh why do the German re - enactors always gravitate towards depicting the SS , they invariably claim that 99% of the veterans love us and we get awards for our displays etc. This is just total B******T . The real reason is , they get a warped kick out of running around portraying a group of evil thugs .

In the current world climate, running around dressed up in a SS uniform is a rather dumb thing to do I think . The Essex MVT has just had its annual Tilbury show site pulled out from under its feet . Yes , the public do watch us MV enthusiasts closely and I wonder if the re-enactor thing has gone too far and had the PC police pulling strings against us . Who knows , just some thoughts . Remember , there is a fine line between being a adult and a child , maybe sometimes the child in us wins .

Mike

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 05-12-03 at 17:03.