View Single Post
Old 30-09-20, 14:20
Terry Warner

John,

Those are great shots of equipment. They also harken back to the time when as a boy, I would travel to Connaught Ranges in the summers with my father.

The 1000yd range is divided north/south by a road. Firing points, wind flags, butts and danger area to the north. The shots you posted show some of the infrastructure that I remember. Company scale bivouacs with bell tents nestled around white clapboard cookhouses and wash houses. The cookhouses weren't used as such when I was there, the single dining hall was overcrowded! But, cookhouse screen doors and lift-up serving windows were still there. The wash houses had coal fired boilers, showers on one side and low galvanized trough pissers with some really stinky shitter stalls on the other. For a child, those "elimination" places must have challenged my toilet training. However, the sight in the photos that rings most profoundly, are the rows of tall elegant elm and ash trees. Victims of invasive insects that have changed the landscape. Those trees are all gone, including the one that shooters would nail their shoes to.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!