View Single Post
Old 28-03-03, 02:43
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Piper with to much time on his hands

Well, I guess if some thought the Piper from The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers and Greys), had way to much time on his hands, than I guess this squadron was doing a musical ride.

Taken from one of the evening posts of a British paper:

"The battle ensued after a squadron of 14 Challenger II tanks from the Scots Dragoon Guards "came across" 14 Iraqi T-55 tanks as they were heading down the al-Faw peninsula, according to Admiral Michael Boyce, head of British defence staff.

"The Scots Dragoon Guards squadron engaged the Iraqi tanks whilst on the move, and destroyed all 14, and none of our Challengers were damaged. Then the Guards pressed on and overran two associated Iraqi infantry positions," Boyce said.

It was Britain's largest tank clash in more than half a century, if only a skirmish compared to some of the tank battles of World War II, said David Fletcher, historian of the Tank Museum in Bovington, England."

Also, I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn, that when The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards and the 1st Battalion, The Black Watch, crossed the border into Iraq, they were Piped across by a lone Piper.

May they all pass safely.