View Single Post
Old 23-03-03, 07:06
In Vino Veritas

Default 12-15%

I believe the US only gets 12-15% of its oil from the middle east making it a moot point about it all being about oil. Canada gets most of its oil from Argentina and I swear I read that we get none from the middle east.
And you are all right, the world sucks and all govs have their own interests at heart. However the US has helped on many more occasions than hurt other nations on this planet. I think of many times , before the cold war was over, they sent money and aid to the USSR after an earthquake or flood, their "enemy". They are not out to hurt the average man but get rid of a sadistic murdering thorn in all of our collective sides. Don't forget who attacked who back when Kuwait was overun and the bloodbath of the Iran-Iraq affair. I also read that though Iran did gas some Kurds Iraq took the oppportunity and gased more because they had a scapegoat. Either way , I don't give a rats ass. This SOB has been given every opportunity to leave take his billions and pass power over to someone else, he has chosen to burn his people along with himself. NIce, to see his looking out for common folk as a true leader should. Whereas Bush and Blair , possibly committing the gravest of sins in their profession ( politics) are sticking their neck out so the millenium dome or Sears tower in CHicago , or even the CN Tower, ( don't have to tell you where that is ) don't become targets in the future and so the middle east can have a chance at harmony amongst themselves.
ALso your possible casualty figures are wrong, almost 80% of the forces in Iraq are actually support and not in the immediate area of combat. THough saying 300,000 troops sounds great in media bites. Eg 4000 tanks times 5 crew = 20,000 tankers and their isn't that many tanks. 3000 fighters=3000 pilots and maybe 1500 backseaters.
As for Israel, whatever, they were attacked and , at that time, fought back against overwhelming forces and kicked ass and took over territory. Good for them. A country wanted to talk peace and made peace with them, Egypt, and guess what? Israel gave them their land back. Ha, what do you know. ONly after the Yom Kippur and Seven day war did the US really start to support Israel heavily.
ANd lastly, Cretien, you are a coward and waffler with only your selfinterest on your mind, you quite frankly ,revolt me.
Go get boys and keep your head down, to all the innocents we hope it'll be over soon and you're alright, but rest assured we WILL be their to help rebuild.
Oh and though I may not agree with sitting around with my head in the sand or placating tin pot dicators, I would fight to the death to protect your right to....something like the US, Brits, and those gawddamned outstanding Assies are doing. :-)
Sean