View Single Post
Old 12-10-16, 17:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Martel View Post
...I wonder who in the museum thought that painting Radley-Walters' surname on the turret would make it look authentic to the War? ...
Cheers,
Dan.
Dan

It is common in the Royal Canadian Armoured Corps (RCAC) to name tank and other armoured monuments after Corps/Regt'l notables.

At Regiments, one can see such person's names and battle honours "named" on monument tanks. Nothing to do with A, B, C, etc Squadrons having names or forceful adjectives on their "in use" vehicles that begin with that Sqn letter. That is something else entirely and wholly dictated by the Regiment. Been there and done that.

At the School in Gagetown the RCACS tank monuments out front are named to the Director Armour, Corps Colonel Commandant etc and are changed as those serving appointments change. The actual tanks that the school used in (then) A, B, and C Sqns got names that began with those letters. Tac signs too.

Yes, many civilian monuments at Legions and the like are done up in correct battle paint and markings for a period they're representing but often are not even the right Mark or Model. A Sherman is a Sherman is a Sherman to some minds. Wasn't Radley-Walters' painted gold at some point?

As for Borden, well, it is the home of the Corps and Worthy and Larry are there. The Base Museum has had quite a few vehicles to care for. I know the Corps helps out in some fashion with the Monument tanks in Worthington Park. Some are gone to Ottawa now though. I recall a willing young Militia lass and the back deck of the Panther one summer night back in the 80's.................. bless her!

Anyways, as I'm rambling, I'll drop out but there is a difference between serving vehicles and Corps/Regt'l Monument naming.