View Single Post
Old 10-01-12, 22:40
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Tiffy's

Hi Rob and Rob:

When the 25 pounders were first designed, the Gun Tiffy's were still Ordnance Corps or artillerymen. Arte and Marte, the RCEME twins, weren't born until 15 May 1944 (and, speaking as a "user and abuser", we're sure glad to have them around! )

The 17 pounder used a similar recoil mechanism to the 25 pounder (the differences are for the most part, internal) so the same pump was issued on the same scale of one per gun. The funny round 4 inch(ish) bracket on the left trail of a 25 or 17 pounder was where the pump was fitted to the gun and topping up was part of, IIRC, daily maintenance (I'll have to check the manuals) so the pump would be a worthwhile addition to any 25 or 17 pounder collection. I wish I could afford it myself!

Congratulations on adding a 17 pounder to your ordnance collection, Rob F!

I was lucky enough to have one of our Aussie brothers mail me the 17 pounder manuals a few years ago. It will take me some time to dig them out of the mess I call my house (another construction project continuously delayed by frequent deployments overseas!) but once found I'll copy them and send a set along.

UBIQUE! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords