View Single Post
Old 17-09-08, 22:47

Default Thank you Mark and John!

Sas van Gent it is! Later tonight I'll pull up maps and locate those places and canals.

I've been reading your posts with Dad's records in front of me.

I bet Dad joined the 9th Field Squadron right after Ghent; the two dates I have for that transfer to that squadron are Sept 10 and Sept 17th. Your post indicated heavy shelling at Ghent, would he have been part of replacements to bring the squadron back up to strength?

I am sure he was trying to build the bridge at Moerkerkke, that matches with some things he hinted to my brother.

Now may I ask some stupid questions please?

What would the reinforcement battalions have been doing during the summer? I am sure I know what my father would have LIKED to have been doing, but I see no pictures of fine hotels and cheery pubs in Normandy at that time.

And if he landed at Juno as part of the first line of reinforcements, would not those reinforcements have been needed right then? Sappers had some hard times on that beach, didn't they? Wouldn't an extra lieutenant have come in handy for some group that was fighting? Dad was tall, quite athletic, and a VERY good engineer, in my totally biased opinion...

Thank you, both for the good information and (hopefully) for your patience!

Helen