Thread: Preserved LCA?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-08, 00:27

Default L C A

Hello Alex,
As far as I know the LCA is still there. The photos were taken about ten years ago and I was told recently that the LCA had deteriorated a lot since the photos were taken.

They did start to clear the river up around 1994 when one of the last surviving LCI(s) was broken up. Would not have thought that there was to much left to clear these days. Southampton(?) university were running a survey of the river at one time. Not sure if they still are.

The LCA is not readily accessible as its in the middle of some pretty marshy ground. I made sure I visited it at low tide and still ended up in mud up to my knees at one stage.

Attached are a couple of photos of LCAs at Bembridge on the Isle of Wight. These were taken a couple of years ago. The armour was removed from most of the houseboats early on.

The armour seems to have survived on the LCAs that were just left to rot after the owners were finished with them.

There was an LCA sold on eBay recently. It was located in the Milton Keynes area. Another one that had been used as an houseboat.

Hope the above is of use to you. If you have any more questions I will try and answer them.

The forum at the BMPT has changed. The link to the LC thread there is at http://www.bmpt.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=311&PN=1

All The Best

Danny

Milton Keynes houseboat sold on eBay

Location of LCA on River Hamble