View Single Post
Old 30-06-05, 14:05

Stellan,

Your identification of Tony's picture as an m/35 and Rob's photos as the m/38, in my opinion provides the solution!

Since the British ordered Guns fitted with this type of sight before 1938, they would be fitted with the m/35 sight. Those ordered last were fitted with oil units for the Kerrison Predictor (and forward area sights, but I agree with you that these may have been added by the British). Bofors continued development to the m/38, but these were sold to countries other than Great Britain.

The 1941 Handbook quoted by Tony has Plates showing three versions of Swedish/Polish Bofors Guns, thus;

Ordnance Mk.1 / Mounting Mk.1 / Platform Mk.1 (plates 11 to 13)
This version has bearing and elevation receiver dials, no sights, and 5 spoke/5 stud wheels

Ordnance Mk.1 / Mounting Mk.111 / Platform Mk.1 (plate 14 )
This version has Bearing and Elevation oil units, Forward Area Sights, and 8 spoke/ 6 stud wheels.

Ordnance Mk.1 / Mounting Mk. 1A / Platform Mk.1 fitted with the Bofors Course and Speed Sight, seen on its own (plates 45 & 46)

There is also a description and pictures of parts pertaining to the Mk.1B Mounting (a Mk.1 modified so that it could be fitted with the oil units if required.) and the Mounting Mk.11, similiar to the Mk.111 but with elevating and traversing handles that had to be removed for power operation, not like the Mk.111 handles which only required unclutching.

Unfortunately I do not yet have the expertise to post these pictures, but have not given up yet!