View Single Post
Old 05-12-21, 01:05

I agree whole heartedly the advantages of climate controlled vehicle storage is a huge plus in keeping most wireless sets installed in vehicles healthy. Even the vehicles themselves can be at risk to some degree otherwise these days it seems, Bruce.

You are right, the events one can take advantage of these days are few. Bigger consideration for me, is my reenactment days are long gone, unless there is a Home Guard group hiding somewhere I do not know of. Not sure they make Pattern 37 belts in my size. I now have a new and growing appreciation for suspenders. I even wonder if the Home Guard even used wireless. Hhmmm?

On the bright side, many of the Wireless and FFW vehicles were specifically designed for quick and simple removal of the wireless set. These would be great for infrequent trips to events, even if two live bodies are needed to get the set in and out of the vehicle. Definitely not a great option for other vehicles where the wireless is pretty much ‘hard wired in’ as you pointed out.

The really encouraging thing is the possibility of a growing crossover of interest between working military vehicles and their related wireless kit. Even if the set in your vehicle at a show is not running, if you have a working set at home you are familiar with, you can field questions much more effectively at an event and avoid that ‘deer in headlights look’ when asked a question. That sort of feeds back to Harry a bit and his interest in the 19-Set in its own right.

Would also be kind of fun to have enough working WW2 Wireless Equipment out there again to set up more local and regional Nets, R/T as well as CW. Now if we could only find the sister transmitter to the one they used for Hydra at Camp X.

David