View Single Post
Old 19-08-04, 17:08
Vets Dottir

Talking

That was simply put, Mark ... great

Okay ... I realized I had that library book about the Little Black Devils by Tascona/Wells ...under piles of stuff ... anyways, found THIS on ...

page 125:

The 190th Battalion (CEF) (Grandpa Joe)

Quote:
The 190th battallion was mobilized for active service in the summer of 1916 under the command of Lt.-Col. G.K. Watson. The Battallion's designated recruitment area covered western Manitoba. Owing to the shortage of available men for active service in rural Manitoba (most potential volunteers were needed for the annual harvest) the 190th had difficulty filling its ranks during the winter of 1916-1917. On May 3rd, 1917,the 190th Battallion, with only 15 officers and 372 other ranks boarded the SS Justica at Halifax on May 3,1917, and was soon absorbed afterwards in England into the 18th Reserve Battallion.

... The 190th adopted the rampant Devil badge of the 90th with the numeral "4" set on the badge as the 4th Battallion of the 90th Winnipeg Rifles
I think I should keep Grandpa Joe over to this thread for WW1, from the 1944 POWS thread,causeits getting confusing ??? :