Thread: How To: Rust removal
View Single Post
Old 28-10-21, 00:20
VMVC

Default Metal Rescue

Good Day,

I bought some Metal Rescue a while back and was wondering if others has the same results with it. It is the same type of rust remover as Evapo Rust and works via selective chelation as opposed to acidic methods.

I tried it and was disappointed with it. Despite removing all old paint and wire brushing a part it was very slow to remove a small amount of remaining rust and in fact after sitting overnight it still had rust on it. Had I used phosphoric acid the same part would have been completely rust free in that time and, in fact, I finished the job with acid.

I put it back on the shelf and just chalked it up to experience.

A few days ago I thought I would give it another chance. I had an old Ford flathead V8 fuel pump stand lying around so I thought I would see how it worked on the steel tube pressed into the white metal base. Metal Rescue claims it is harmless to non-ferrous metal so here would be a good test.
Again cleaned, and wire brushed before hand, leaving a minimum amount of rust. And again an overnight soaking. And again just a small amount of rust left in the small pits 18 hours later.

So one good thing- it didn't attack the white metal and in fact cleaned it up nicely. Probably removed the rust stain on it. For something like that with ferrous and non ferrous parts joined together it might be of some value. Things like the spark plug wire conduits with aluminium grommets or the distributor body with the white metal cap locator pin.

Perhaps I just got a bad batch but based on what I saw it do I won't be buying it again.

Look forward to hearing of others experience with this type of rust remover.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0069.JPG  

Jacques Reed