View Single Post
Old 21-07-22, 00:02
Terry Warner

Hanno, thanks for bringing this article up on MLU. I read the Sherman email list link and the 2nd page the other day. Very interesting perspective on how neutral Sweden considered the Sherman as a family.

One comment in the archives document caught my attention (http://tanks.mod16.org/2016/09/30/sw...f-the-sherman/), that being reversing a short length of track so the guide horns were facing out not in to improve slippery snow handling. I didn't quite understand how the sections of track could be laid on the ground as a bed and be recovered. The exercise after all was a combat advance with accompanying infantry. But Swedes are anything but practical chaps.

"...The Sherman V also had problems climbing many steep slopes because of the tracks slipping. By using extra track links (TN: possibly for a different tank? the document is quite unclear here and has a few hard-to-read handwritten corrections), these slopes could be climbed, but this took considerable amounts of time. These extra track links, in sets of 3-5, were placed under the tracks with the guide horns facing down, and this provided extra grip."

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!