View Single Post
Old 06-09-19, 09:30
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi all,

Here are a few photos of what I’ve been doing on the M8 over the last few weeks.

After I completed the handbrake assembly and got that working well, I fitted the gear-change housing and rods and then the intermediate floor. I’m not 100% sure I won’t have this floor piece out again but it will make a nice change to be working over the top of something relatively flat. The body was taking a beating climbing over and over the transfer case and that large cross member that holds it.

I’ve also fitted all the drive-shafts with the exception of the main one from the gearbox (obviously) and the one to the intermediate axle. I have left one side of the transfer case protective shield off as it is too difficult to get at everything under there with that in place. As I say, some of these parts may have to come out again at some point if things aren’t quite right, but it has been a good exercise seeing if everything is fitting correctly and working. It also ensures I have everything I need now, rather than finding out later on that I am missing something. I had to buy a bunch of driveshaft universal points and bearing caps (thanks Ross) and even while I was fitting them I realised I got my count wrong and needed another four bearing caps!

I have continued the work on the 37mm shells for the turret and sponson rack using the stencils from Van at Questmasters. I’d have to say it can be fiddly work but the results are worth it. I may not have the yellow quite right on the M63 shell projectiles, but I’m very happy with the results.

I’ve been sorting out the pieces for the clutch assembly. I have a new clutch release bearing coming (Aetna A-2526). The clutch pressure plate seems fine, and will just need a clean. I have a couple of discs and a new facing so will have to do something with those. The flywheel ring gear is a bit worn. Can this be flipped 180 degrees and put back on like other Hercules engines? Judging by the looks of the tooth pattern on the ring gear, I’m not sure… Has anyone tried this?

I’ve also been working out what I have in the way of an exhaust system. According to the parts manual, I have the early model exhaust muffler for a later model hull setup, but I will make the muffler work.

I used some foam weather strip to the radiator as cushioning for when it is fitted in the hull and I need to get some thinner stuff now to go between the radiator and the fan shrouds.

A shovel and pick were the last things on the restoration list week and they are done and ready to fit.

That’s all for this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Floor.jpg   20190906_104733.jpg   20190906_105113.jpg   20190906_111310.jpg   37mm.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
1941 Australian LP2A Machine Gun Carrier
1943 White M3A1AOP Scout Car
1944 Ford M8 Armoured Car
1945 Ford M20 Armoured Car