View Single Post
Old 06-04-19, 06:48
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

This week I have been tidying up a few more jobs and working on the transfer case and gun. I sourced some axle 'wedges' that I was after from a US supplier. In the US they are referred to as wedges but they seem to have different names (collets/split cones)in other countries.

I finalised the headlight wiring in the front of the hull and fitted the headlight holders and clips. I had one of each of the headlight holders and clips that were original and fabbed up the others. I am still on the lookout for those elusive T locking pins for the headlight pedestals.

After fitting the gun sleigh to the recoil system, I wasn’t happy with the way the sleigh slid on those two brass strips on the recoil system. I pulled the recoil system out again and rechecked the measurements. I found that the fold was not perfect across the whole length of the folded strips, and in places varied up to 0.2 – 0.3 mm. In the end, I shaved off 0.1-0.2mm off the top and bottom of the using a flap disc on a grinder and that set the gap up nicely. The sleigh moves freely on the recoil system now. I think if I had to do that job again, I would find some brass, or maybe even aluminium, channel the exact size, rather than folding brass sheet.

I got some advice about fitting the gun tube and decided that was a good way to go about it. Although the barrel had been straightened it was not perfect and I had to grind a few high spots that had been caused by the damage, before it would even go into the sleigh. At the time of writing, I am still working on this and not yet been able to get the barrel all the way into the sleigh. It needs to move another 20mm to seat it in the large ring at the end of the sleigh. Big hammers have not worked and I think I will have to make up a tool to give it some mechanical assistance to fully seat the barrel tube in the sleigh. As you can see, the freshly painted barrel and sleigh will need repainting!

I started test fitting some of the gun parts like side plates, .30 cal mount and ammo tray etc, so I could work out what mounting bolts I needed. I also fitted the mantlet but will need to get the two correct 5/8” NF allen head bolts for securing it to the recoil system.

I don’t have the little wedge piece on the bottom of the gun mount finalised as yet. The piece I’m talking about has two notches in it and is bolted onto the bottom of the gun mount. The two bolts sit in bushes on the mount, and have little cams on them, presumably for fine adjustment. The notches align with the release lever on the underside of the elevation system. From what I can see this acts as an elevation release and when you release the handle on the bottom of the elevation gear into the second notch, the elevation gear can rotate a little, releasing itself from the sector gear on the recoil system, and dropping the gun. In what situations was this used? Is it used when the gun is fixed in travel mode, to take the stress of movement of the vehicle off the elevation system?

I found that the two scope mounts I have are not matching for my turret model. As you can see from the photo, the mount nearest the breech sits too far away from the side plate. I am told though that these early scope mounts late had a spacer block between it and the side plate to allow them to sit at the right distance for mounting the scope. Hopefully I have secured a repro of one of these spacers.

Have I got the .30 cal ammo belt feed plate and empty case feeder chute mounted properly? Does the feed plate just swivel on one of the 5/8” rods from the mantlet? What about the empty case feeder chute? I also need a bush of some sort for the trigger lever for the .30 cal.

Now that I have all those bits and pieces in place, I’m hoping that everything can just remain there now awaiting me sliding the barrel and sleigh into place on the recoil system.

That is all....
Attached Thumbnails
20190324_164925.jpg   20190406_145418.jpg   20190405_103432.jpg   20190405_105716.jpg   20190405_105834.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
1941 Australian LP2A Machine Gun Carrier
1943 White M3A1AOP Scout Car
1944 Ford M8 Armoured Car
1945 Ford M20 Armoured Car