Thread: Dunkirk
View Single Post
Old 19-08-17, 04:02
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lang View Post
Mike and Bruce you seem to make my point about unanswered reasons.

Bruce has the Germans deliberately stopping to allow a political arrangement, Mike has them getting no reprieve but the German Army standing back while the German Air Force took over the (unsuccessful) job of destroying them.

Neither theory looks strong to me.

We seem to forget the British Army fell back before the Germans as easily as the French. Both claim the other moved rearward exposing their flanks forcing them to move also.

What about the tarnished French Army putting up such a resistance on the defense perimeter they occupied the Germans long enough for an escape to be made. If the Germans were seriously held up, their artillery would have been fully occupied on the defenders not being used in some sort of random slaughter of milling people inside the perimeter.

Whatever the heroism involved in the evacuation and 3 days of "holiday" ,for whatever reason, the rescue would not have happened if the French had not continued to put up a wall to allow the British to escape.

Just another theory.

Lang
Read the book. The research and references (71 pages worth) make a pretty solid case.