Thread: Dunkirk
View Single Post
Old 18-08-17, 18:08

Default Dunkirk the movie

Saw this last evening in the luxury seating at the North Town Mall cinema. I'm glad I was comfortable, but it only partially made up for all the wincing I found myself doing involuntarily throughout this movie. The positives were few: some nice air to air combat footage and Spitfire cockpit scenes (though the single HE-111's return fire sounded like a 30mm cannon!).

The negatives were legion. Clean beaches and uniforms, very very small numbers of extras trying to look like 300,000+, modern container handling cranes in the background of numerous shots, not one wrecked building in the town or along the foreshore esplanade, despite the bombing and artillery bombardment .... an anchored mine sweeper that, when bombed, rolls over on its side, but then stops and doesn't sink .... the list could go on and on and on... in summary, 'too many to list', to use a well known MV collector phrase!

As for CMPs, I'm reasonably sure I glimpsed a cab 13 from the rear 3/4 angle in a brief sweep along the abandoned vehicles on the esplanade. Might well be wrong: by that late stage in the film, my incredulity had well and truly set in.

If there was a story line, I think I missed it in all the jumping back and forth in time.

Final summation: pathetic. Don't waste your time or money.

Mike