View Single Post
Old 02-01-24, 14:05
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
Todays allotted time in the shop (kids are napping) I managed to get the original battery tray removed. It was held in by 4 carriage bolts. I tried removing the nuts but the bolts ended up spinning around in the wood. In the end I used a Zip disk to cut the heads off the bolts. Yes this did mean that I had to cut into the wood and produce copious amounts of smoke in the shop. However the wood was too far gone to use again. Lots of dry rot had taken place.

The wood shall provide a very nice pattern to make a new one. I should also be able to use all of the original metal parts. It’s a simple construction of three pieces of white oak with a tongue and groove slot. Two metal angled pieces along the long top sides. One the end there is two flat bars with the vertical retaining rod and counter sunk holes for screws. It’s refreshing to see true 1” thick pieces of wood.

The last picture shows just how much crud came loose from the tray’s removal. The area had been vacuumed prior to removal.
You may have progressed beyond the battery box by now. A thought, white oak flooring is readily available, comes prefinished, and just about every manufacturer makes it with tongue and groove edges. Like the world has been waiting for your installation.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!