View Single Post
Old 30-09-20, 14:34
Lionel G. Evans

Hello All,

The two 40 Foot shipping containers will be parallel to each other on a pad that is 14 Metres by 15 Metres ... 45 by 49 Feet. I decided on getting the 40 Foot sized container due to finding a local source that sold them for a damn good price. Other companies were selling a single 20 foot container for not that much less money than what I could get the 40 foot container for. I could also inspect the container locally before purchase and I was guaranteed having the same container arrive on my block. Apparently, some mobs have a display container that you inspect; or they show photographs of a sample container that can be viewed online. They then transport the container from their storage space located in another town to here. What arrives on the block may not be the exact same container that you inspected. It's quality can also be a lot different too.

I will be getting mains power connected to the inside and outside of the containers. Yes, it does get darker the further into the 40 foot container you go! Yes - I will need to organise a mobile crane to re-position the containers. Hopefully, it will be a one-off pain to deal with.

Following on from the advice from other posts in this thread, I have left a space at the back of the container and at the front.

In the future I intend to get some second-hand 6 Metre (19 Foot) "C" and "Z" purlings to make a roof over the top of each container. These sections are frequently advertised online locally. The steel will allow for some roof coverage for workbenches along the inside-side of each container.

Lang, with the whirly-birds - can they be fitted high to the back of the container instead of cutting a hole in the roof? I live in the sub-tropics and condensation is already noticeable inside the containers. It may be a while before I start putting a roof over the containers and cutting holes in a flat roof for a whirly-bird just seem so counter-intuitive.

Another long-term plan is to have the two skillion roofs joined together to form one big covered area.

I will take some photographs of the pad being formed. Now to arrange for a mobile crane....

Kind regards
Lionel
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2

Last edited by Lionelgee; 30-09-20 at 15:05.