View Single Post
Old 30-09-20, 14:19
Lionel G. Evans

Hello All,

Well things have been happening here. I bought one 40 foot hi-cube shipping container and had it delivered a couple of months ago. I started to transfer some of my stuff from my shed to the container. I quickly realised that not have any shelving or racks was making the consumption of shipping container space much too rapid to be acceptable. So I stopped.

I decided to track down some pallet racking and steel shelving units. One side wall can fit four bays of pallet racking. The other side wall fits six bays of shelving. I tried a local bloke for a quote to fit out the shipping container. They were twice the price for less stuff and of a dubious brand. So off to Brisbane I went to a mob there who sells second-hand but named brand material: "Dexion".

During the wait to be able to pick up the racking and shelving I had another look in my shed and the stuff still stored in there. This triggered me buying another 40 Foot High Cube. Plus, a duplicate set of pallet racking and shelving. The containers will be spaced parallel with each other.

I was not happy how the first shipping container was placed in my paddock. A previous owner had a series of raised mounds built for fruit trees. So there was a series of mounds and drainage ditches. When the semi-trailer came to drop off the second container I had it positioned away from where the first container was placed. Some extra cash changed hands and the first container was lifted up and moved away from where it had been standing. On Saturday an earth moving company is going to level the area. A mix of recycled road-base and bitumen off the local roads is being trucked in. The road-base is going to be mostly level - with a nice uniform slope for drainage and it will all be compacted down. The next step will be to get a mobile crane to position the shipping containers onto their pad.

I jumped the gun a bit today. I got sick of having to carefully squeeze how far I can open my best car's door to stop it hitting against an engine mounted on a stand. I figure there are plenty of tie-down points in the shipping container to be able to secure the engine stand when the crane comes to move the container.

Roll on to the weekend so I can have a level spot to sit the shipping containers on in the very near future. After that I can continue my quest in trying to bring order out of the chaos that currently exists in my shed.

Kind regards
Lionel
Attached Thumbnails
Rack Shelf Hi_Cube 40.jpg  
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2

Last edited by Lionelgee; 30-09-20 at 14:38.