View Single Post
Old 02-09-20, 12:09
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the reply. I don't want to speak too soon but I have yet to see any leakage from the wheel cylinders. I have my fingers crossed....

As far as the ergonomics go, I have been reminded that the armoured floor I have in the front is a bit higher than the original floor. That wouldn't help.

The foot pedal placement will also take some getting used to. I wonder how low the clutch and brake levers supposed to be with respect to the floor or throttle pedal. It seems that you have to lift your legs quite high off the floor to even operate the pedals, which gives the 'knees around the ears' feeling.

I adjusted both pedals today at the back of the master cylinders and this dropped the pedals a bit. I couldn't get as much adjustment out of the clutch adjuster though. I did wonder about putting in a thick strip of steel to act as a packer between the mounting points on the clutch and brake pedal assembly and the hull using some longer bolts. This would have the effect of directly lowering the pedals which would also help. I don't think there is much wiggle room with moving the steering box.

I will keep tinkering!

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
1941 Australian LP2A Machine Gun Carrier
1943 White M3A1AOP Scout Car
1944 Ford M8 Armoured Car
1945 Ford M20 Armoured Car