View Single Post
Old 12-12-19, 00:39
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James P View Post
built in Canada, sails across U-Boat infested N.Atlantic, fought in the Second World War, used by ?? post war, then closes the loop by returning to Canada and place of manufacture and restored.
Read Nech's thread for some more background info on this Otter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nech View Post
Just transported home my new project - The Otter recce car - recently bought in Holland. One of the very few survivors. I think the complete restoration will begin in the following year. And I am looking forward to it, as the vehicle is well preserved (has been dry stored for the last 40 years), so it can be called a true "barn find". The census number has been readable, so it is exciting to have the very original piece of real history.
Seeing it came from Holland and was stored for the past 40 years, it could well be this Otter was one of a batch of Otter LRCs used by the Koninklijke Marechaussee (Royal Military Police) from 1946 until as late as 1970 (only then they were replaced by the M113).

Nech has done some research on paint and markings, no doubt Jordan will unearth more information. Possibly a Dutch registration number will emerge, which may then be matched with existing photos or records.

For now I leave you with a photo captioned: "Training Koninklijke Marechaussee in Apeldoorn, a GM Otter armored car. 3 March 1949"
Click image for larger version

Name:	1280px-Opleiding_Konikinlijke_Marechaussee_te_Apeldoorn,_een_GM_Otter_pantserwagen,_Bestanddeeln.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	110742
Source: http://proxy.handle.net/10648/a8c455...8-003048976d84