View Single Post
Old 18-07-16, 10:14
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi all,

I’ve gradually been working away on this first axle. I think I probably picked the worst one to work on first so that is not a bad thing as this one has been a challenge from time to time. Hopefully the other two aren't as bad!

I got the other hub locking nut off. I had to use a grinder to cut a notch into the top of the nut and then I was able to use a cold chisel and a big hammer on the nut.

I eventually got the torque rod ends off. A 5 ton puller didn’t do the job and I’m not sure that a 10 ton would have done it either. All the puller does is pull the torque rod end outer sleeve over the top of the rubber surrounding the inner bush but it won’t actually pull the bush off the pin.

Cutting the outer part of the torque rod end seemed to be the best way to go. This leaves the inner bush stuck to the pin but I couldn’t see another option. I was able to remove some of these inner bushes by cutting a notch in the bush and then striking them with a cold chisel. Others were completely frozen onto the pin and had to be cut off with a cut off disc.

I was unable to remove the pinion yoke in situ so I went ahead and split the diff in the meantime. As you can see, there was a fair bit of junk in there. I figure the fact that one axle had been removed from the axle housing and the axle housing being left in the elements has allowed the dirt and moisture to get into the diff housing. Thus, the dirty mess inside when I opened it up.

I’ve done a strip down of the parts and given them an initial clean-up and I don’t think this diff shows signs of much use at all. There is a slight amount of pitting here and there from the moisture in the axle but overall a lot better than I expected when I first saw inside the diff housing.

I will replace the bearings and the axle housing inner oil seals and I’ll also take the diff parts to the blasters and explore the option of glass blasting to clean them up. I gather this is the preferred way to clean up these parts.

Once I have the pinion assembly out I’ll put it in the press and remove the yoke that way (hopefully). I’ll then replace the bearings on that assembly.

I’ve already dropped off the brake drums and backplates to the blasters and once I have the bearing cones out of the diff housings, I’ll get them off to the blasters as well for a clean up.
Attached Thumbnails
P1070058.JPG   P1070010.JPG   P1070016.JPG   P1070020.JPG   P1070026.JPG  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
1941 Australian LP2A Machine Gun Carrier
1943 White M3A1AOP Scout Car
1944 Ford M8 Armoured Car
1945 Ford M20 Armoured Car