View Single Post
Old 03-02-16, 09:56
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi all,

A few delays in the workshop so we haven’t been able to confirm a course of action for the hull yet. In the meantime, I’ve been doing a couple of wee jobs.

One of the things I’ve been looking at are the gun parts. I had been offered a few 37mm gun parts but knowing that I already have a few extra gun pieces, I wanted to see exactly what I needed.

The model of gun, turret and mantlet is one where the telescope mount sits on a horizontal post jutting out from one of the gun mounts. Is this the early version?

Not sure whether the photo shows it very well, but there is a ‘plug’ in the breech and some damage to the mount at the breech end which will need to be repaired at some stage. You will also note there are a couple of ‘foreign bodies’ tacked onto the recoil assembly which I’ll remove.

As you can see I have two of the sleighs (tube mounts) that would sit on the recoil system (if I have the terminology correct for both?). The sleighs (?) are shaped slightly differently so which is correct for the gun?

There are also two recoil systems, and two pieces of the gun turret mount. Both of these gun turret mounts have been cut but one is certainly repairable. The other would require some work.

I have three of the left side gun plates.

Not sure whether anyone else could use any of these extra gun bits but I’ll start a separate thread soon for a few surplus parts I have ended up with during the restoration.

I also did some work on the wheels in preparation for the hull when it is eventually in one piece. I have five new bar tread tires and one of the tires on the wheels, although not the same pattern, is in good nick, so that will do until I get the sixth bar tread tire.

A couple of the tires are completely stuffed as you can see. I intend dismantling each combat rim, blasting and painting and the fitting with a new tire. I’ve been able to undo most of the bolts with a big long bar but the odd one might need some heat to get it to budge.

I also noticed one of the wheels is an odd-ball and not the usual combat rim. Can anyone identify this wheel?

Are there any tips for splitting the combat rims?

Many thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0835.jpg   IMG_0845.jpg   IMG_0847.JPG   IMG_0839.jpg   IMG_0854.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
1941 Australian LP2A Machine Gun Carrier
1943 White M3A1AOP Scout Car
1944 Ford M8 Armoured Car
1945 Ford M20 Armoured Car