View Single Post
Old 28-01-16, 09:37
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi Dave, David and Terry,

Thanks for the replies.

Dave - yes, my initial impression on seeing it was to go with their recommendation. New plates in there seem logical to me and 'cleaner' than patch jobs as you say. Overall, I think this will be the most efficient and doing one at a time to, does have merit - a good point thanks.

David - that's a good question. I'm betting it could be done, albeit with a bit of extra time involved I'd say. Like you say, it does mean the original plating can be retained. Thanks for the comment on the thread. Good to hear you are finding it interesting. It is proving to be fun so far!

Terry - a good point. To be honest, testing the steel is not something I had even considered. I will have to ask the guys in the workshop about that. I don't know how much of a problem it could be. I know there are a number of 'stitched up' M8's out there, but that doesn't mean there wouldn't be problems with this one.

Chaps - as an aside, it has also been mentioned to me (thanks Doug) that another option would be to cut slightly smaller plates to match the sponson plates, and weld them on the inside of the sponsons. The exterior plates would then be preserved as much as possible and it would just require filling in the gaps from the outside using filler plates.

The disadvantage is that getting access to the innards of the hull would still be very difficult. Another viable option though.

Thanks for the ideas. I still like the idea of keeping it as original as possible, but also accept that one has to be a little practical about it, especially when 'the meter is running'! I need to get my head around the options now and work out what we are going to do!

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
1941 Australian LP2A Machine Gun Carrier
1943 White M3A1AOP Scout Car
1944 Ford M8 Armoured Car
1945 Ford M20 Armoured Car