Thread: How To: C15a Wire-3 restoration
View Single Post
Old 21-03-15, 15:38

I have not really done much work over the winter as its been too cold in the shop. One day I will have insulation and proper heat.

I did pickup a pair of door window frame and a front brush guard.

Some of the small parts I have made are as follows.

#1 a new pedal bumper made from a cut down hockey puck.
#2 new cab to frame front bolts. I cut down 5/8 bolts on the lathe and re-threaded them to the proper 9/16-18. It was my first time using the lathe and they turned out great.
#3 new cable release for the 4 wheel drive disengagement arm. The original cable had rusted away and broke. I was able to save the ends after soaking in Evaporust. I bought a new cable from Cnd Tire along with the aircraft cable. The threaded end was a cut down 10-32 hex head screw. I drilled it out on the lathe and then soldiered in the cable.
#4 a new made finger latch. I gave up trying to find some NOS ones (next week Ill probably find a box full). I flattened out a rusty original and traced it onto 16ga. Cut it out with a zipdisk in the grinder. I bent it to shape over a piece of hard wood and then dished the finger portion with a ballpeen hammer.

These are small parts that most wont even know are there when the truck is done, but I enjoy creating that attention to detail.
Attached Thumbnails
bumper.jpg   bolt.jpg   cable01.jpg   cable02.jpg   latch.jpg  

C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer