View Single Post
Old 27-09-21, 02:10
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Greville View Post
Heck you are on a roll Mike. Well done.

First ad location is still a mechanic's workshop to this day!

2nd location is now incorporated into a Furniture store.

To the best of my knowledge, there were usually "major" dealers who then sold
to the little guys in towns etc who then sold to the public. The major dealer for Adelaide was "Chas F Smith",
he didn't just limit himself to jeeps however. Every armoured vehicle that came
to my area came directly from him. I have tracked the fate of every one of them,
all gone. Sigh.

Down your way, the Saxton and Heywood families purchased between them 700 tanks
and then on sold to the farmers. Years ago I visited one of the Heywoods and he told
me lots of stories about the tanks, getting them at auction, convoying them down
to Gippsland (every 2nd one was being towed) and so on.
He also had photos, no idea where they would be now.

Thanks.

Regards
Doug
A local , Les Christian , who died recently was involved with the driving of the surplus tanks to West Gippsland
A book was published on Les Christian's life, he gave a talk at the mens shed describing the epic effort of driving the tanks down from Northern Victoria.
https://www.pressreader.com/australi...81659666502514

Yes, one example of a specific make of surplus vehicles is Morris, some of which were purchased from the CDC by the respective dealer Lanes Motors, Lanes were the official Morris distributors in Vic . Lanes purchased some CS8 , PU and C8 A/T 4x4 trucks through CDC sales, Lanes then distributed these army trucks to their sub dealers in rural Victoria. My PU 8 cwt is a ex Lanes Motors truck, Lanes applied a cheap grey paint onto their CDC purchases , the grey is still visible on parts of my PU.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 27-09-21 at 13:44.