View Single Post
Old 24-10-06, 18:05
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lang
I think the difference in the angle of the bead of the tyres is the stamp on the sidewall!
(...)
For our purposes, as I mentioned above, there seems no point in going to all that trouble because the readily available flat rim style are more than satisfactory.
Lang, good to hear your positive experiences with the MRF brand of tyres.

However, I do want to stress the point that MRF manufactures two different types of 9.00-16 NDMS tyres:

1) "to fit flat base rim only" (6" wide rim). This tyre has a 0º bead taper, but more importantly, a ¼" larger bead diameter than the tyre listed under 2).
- These fit British/Canadian WD 16" split rims without any hassle like trimming the bead or turning down the rim.
- And yes, they also fit US 16" rims as on the Dodge WC series. However, I know of one case where a Dodge WC owner fitted the tyre to its rim while standing up. This resulted in the tyre not sitting centered on the rim, and thus a very bumpy ride. The owner solved this by having the tyre turned down, resulting in a tyre circumference perfectly centered to the rim but with no profile remaining on one side of the tyre! Of course it was fittted wrongly, but I can imagine the same sort of thing can happen when inflating a completely flat tyre while the wheel is fitted to the truck.

2) to fit a 5º taper bead (6.5" wide rim). This tyre has a 5º bead taper, but more importantly, a ¼" smaller bead diameter than the tyre listed under 1).
- So these tyres do not fit British/Canadian WD 16" split rims, besides when tampering with either the tyre or the rim.
- But yes, they do fit US 16" rims without a problem.

Funnily enough, it seems manufacturer is currently not carrying the 5º taper bead type, therefore the tyres made for CMPs and the like are snapped up by Dodgy drivers

This difference in tyre bead diameter is only an issue with 16"wheels, not 13" and 20".

So Stewart, when ordering 9.00-16 MRF tyres for your CMP, make sure to get the type "to fit flat base rim only" (6" wide rim),

I hope this settles this issue for once and all.

Regards,
Hanno