View Single Post
Old 03-05-11, 16:12

Always good to see the insightful words of Mike Calnan! He is a gunner par excellence and it is an honour to know him (and see him occasionally at events such as the recent 30 Field Cannon Ball).
I hesitate to say that I knew him as a pup -but as Baden Editor of Der Kanadier when his father was in Germany with our Gunner contingent I got in trouble by publishing what I considered to be a funny photo (just two air force guys passing a 12 volt battery from one to another) with the caption "B Battery Changes Hands" during the active posting season of (about) 1972 when the paper was full of such grin and grip photos.
I was actually invited for tea with the Commander 4CMBG before MY boss Col Arnie Bauer stepped in and pointed out that as a pilot and HIS man I was not part of THAT chain of command and would continue to publish what I wished.
I had already had one memorable earlier tea with an Air Force MGen who conspicuously failed to congratulate me on my low level night antics over London Ontario -and had been looking forward to comparing it to the hospitality of an Army BGen -or was he just a full Colonel? -but it was not to be!
I was also lucky enough to serve the guns of 30 Field with Mike when that fine regiment allowed me to command its 1 battery after I retired from the Air Force. I was honoured indeed.

Hi Mike!

Keep up the good work!

Jock

Tiger Moth Enterprises