View Single Post
Old 24-09-04, 23:31
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default 40mm Bofors

Hi Guys:

I was on the last course trained on the 40mm Bofors at the Air Defence Artillery School in Chatham, New Brunswick. We handed them over to the Navy in 1988/89. These were the "Boffin" hydraulic version which had come off the HMCS Bonaventure and HMCS Magnificent... so after 15 or so years in the Artillery they went home to the Navy. It was while I was stationed there that I acquired my Canadian made example in a trade for a Bren Gun Carrier.

The 40mm Bofors was manufactured in some quantity in Canada at Otis Fensom Elevator Works. The Canadian versions were the simplified carriage with the fixed barrel travel lock mounted on the rear axle housing. Most ended the war with shields fitted and Stiffkey (pronounced Stoo-key) sight. See the photo I posted in "the Sergeants' Mess". The sight was named for the Anti-Aircraft School at Stiffkey where, I believe, it was developed.

The lightweight airborne version was developed in Canada and used aircraft tyres. It was made as light and small as possible so it would fit through the door of the Dakota or into a glider. The sole remaining example is in the RCA Museum in Shilo, Manitoba.

A few years ago Bofors produced a history book on the 40mm. I have a copy and will post the ISBN so that other enthusiasts of the mark can try to track down a copy.

I have copies of most of the Canadian manuals for the Bofors. I'll ask Alex Blair if he wants to reproduce them for people... I'd offer myself but the time and cost is significant.

Cheers!

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords