View Single Post
Old 17-01-22, 23:03

Default A few questions......

Hi David

What kind of paint glossy grey are you using???? do you bother with a primer coat...or a self hetch primer or do any kind of acid wash before painting????

Always fascinated by the care and attention you take........ I am limited to regular 19 sets all in various state/conditions that need some attention.

Cold days gets me back to the old radio stuff. Winter brings about something to be done inside.

I took apart an old US army surplus telephone/telegrapgh converter to salvage some quick disconnect fixtures for other projects. As usual saved all the small nuts, bolts, washers, and the needed parts which had soldered pigtails.......

While warming up the soldering iron, it reminded me of about 70 years ago when my Dad kept me busy unsoldering pigtails from parts he would salvage from truck loads of radio parts. A single axle dump truck load was $25.00 (1952) mix bag of all kind of army radios.....included aircraft radio and 19 sets..... some huge carburators and boxes of wiring/cables.

The old iron was a wooden handle monster that really heated up and I used a soda straw to blow the metal solder out of the connection holes. Used a piece of woven asbestos cloth to wipe the gun tip and carbon Tet to de- grease switches........ wonder I am still alive!!!!!!

also had a home made Germanium crystal radio with earphones...... no batteries required just a wire out the window and a clip on the water pipe.

Cheers

It sure kept me busy for hours.........
Canada