View Single Post
Old 27-11-18, 06:16

Default cleaning up the gun

I may have been a bit too liberal with the words "take it apart" I am not allowed and have no intention of stripping it down to basic bits. I was looking for some pictures of how to access the traverse and see what if anything could be binding up the trails from closing. The enthusiastic response to me stripping it down was nice but this is not a gun that needs to be rebuilt. My intention is to lubricate and protect it before it goes back outside. The liberal paint is protecting the outside but the moving parts need liberal lubrication to keep out the moisture and dust. I got the traverse to move and it was completely full of sand, likely from wind blowing it around. The trails are still very stiff (takes 4 of us to open or close them) but I am working on finding what is binding them up. It seems to be paint but they jam completely when forced to max open or to full closed. No locking pins or debris that I can see. More grease and sweat.
This is one of 4 items of the rolling stock that I have taken on as a project to clean up and get running reliably. My intent is to begin using them at shows and anywhere they get invited to attend. Making them able to showcase vehicles which otherwise sit and gather dust is my goal here.
Thanks for the help.
Complete- Bofors 40mm on carriage
Complete Reproduction- Vickers, Model 1937 Tank
Waiting restoration- 1950 Cambridge carrier, Ford CMP Water truck, 1943 Universal carrier, 1945 Dodge APT truck, Canadian C3 Howitzer, several parts vehicles and a few ideas.....