View Single Post
Old 06-07-10, 04:52
RIP

looks nice seems you have one Aussie handle and one English handle on your gun . The standard ammo tins issued with guns here are two round steel tin with water proof twin screw down steel lid and variant on the 3.7" aa gun ammo box with three lock down clips on lid and cardboad tubes same as in waterproof tin .
The boxes you have there look like six pounder four round tins but appear slightly larger wil try and post a few shots for you few original ww2 17pdr tins in the collection few survive survive today but if you are lucky one can turn them up and soem may even have original paint !!!
Gilles to my knowledge 17pdr are not used for salute as they are anti tank issue and that task was firmly taken by artillry of more standard types ie 18pdr then 25pdr now 105mm in most commonwealth armies .
The best gun of the three Aussie I have is fully functional once I polish the chamber and may see some use in future with State police permission of course for ceromonial display in the future when time allows , the second one is not far behind it if we can locale the elevator rear boxes and th ethird is a bit behind that

regards
Rod