View Single Post
Old 08-10-04, 13:17
former Resident Historian

Default GM of C

Hanno, as you know GM of Canada built Mosquitoes in their Oshawa plant.

Our thoughts go out to the family of the officer that died on the sub. We now here that the 'boat is being towed back to presumably Scotland. It is interesting reading all the comments from both sides and The London Times' editorial. However the UK has had its fair share of white elephants..look at the fiascos over the Nimrod AEW, the Nimrod rebuilds that are still ongoing, the Chinooks that canot supposedly fly at night and in bad weather, the fitment of cannon to the Eurofighter Typhoons for the RAF...what's next?

On the other hand my dad will confirm that when the levers are pulled collectively the Ministry of Defence and private industry in the UK can really get their acts together. The example is the Sea King AEW that occupied my dada and his colleagues at EMI adapting the Searchwater radar that had its basis in the H2S of the Forties, to a helicopter. EMI employees worked many hours of overtime over seven days a week, and then it was over to Westlands at Yeovil for them to adapt the radar, working with a small EMI team.

The above is a montage showing the Oshawa-built Mosquitoe plus various guns that they produced...20 mm Polsten for example, and snowmobile [Bombardier] plus the possible 'white elephant'..the 6-pounder.I assume the machineguns were produced in the Oshawa Gun Plant. I am not qualified to comment on whether the 6-pounder was a wartime Canadian waste of time. The evidence that I have is that it took so long for production to set up that it was obsolete arguably before production was underway. Regina Industries Limited the former Regina, Sask. motor assembly plant produced the carriages, but it was Border City Industries Limited in Windsor that produced the barrels. It is a pity that no change to 17-pounder production was made before 1944 when the Goverment contracts dried up and RIL was doomed to a withering decline and closure post-war.

Last edited by David_Hayward (RIP); 08-10-04 at 13:31.